Friday, March 15, 2013

Long-Term Effects of Sibling Abuse

Growing up with an abusive sibling is certainly painful. Unfortunately, the pain doesn't end after moving out of the house. There are many long-lasting effects that persist even after the abuse has stopped.

Kyla Boyse, RN, a contributor to the University of Michigan’s YourChild topic on sibling abuse, compiled the following list[1] of some of these effects:

  • Depression, anxiety, and low self-esteem
  • Inability to trust; relationship difficulties
  • Alcohol and drug addiction
  • Learned helplessness
  • Eating disorders

I’d like to add a few of my own. Sibling abuse can also lead to:

·       Super-sensitivity

·       Undeveloped limit-setting abilities

·       Anger/resentment

Coping with these effects can be a daily struggle for sibling abuse survivors. It is important to note that all types of abuse, including sexual, physical, and emotional abuse can create devastating long-term consequences.   




[1] Boyse, Kyla, RN. "University of Michigan Health System." Sibling Abuse: Your Child:. University of Michigan Health System, Nov. 2012. Web. 15 Mar. 2013.

2 comments:

  1. I went through this as a child up until I cut ties with my siblings in my late 20's. Wish I'd had done it sooner. What they did devastated my early years and I feel stuck in that period of my life. My life at present is in tatters and I'm desperate to get rid of the horrible legacy left to me as a result of the abuse. I'm glad it's finally being recognized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie. Thank you so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment. I totally hear you on the devastation that sibling abuse can cause. I, too, am still grappling with the long-term effects left over from the crap I went through when I was a kid. I hope that this blog can provide just a little bit of solace for you. It is high, high time that the world knew about sibling abuse and the very serious issue that it is. I hope that in time you find healing and can gain back some of the years your siblings took from you.

    ReplyDelete